Thursday, April 21, 2016

Inside Scoop on Vegans

Recently, my vegan friends and I have been discussing the questions that we get asked the most regarding our diet and the things people are most surprised to hear. So for those of you who don't know, I've been vegan since August 2015 and I'm loving every second of it. That is, every second that isn't consumed by someone hating on my life choice. I wanted to enlighten you all on some fun vegan facts that you might not have known or thought of before.

We eat junk food!
While we may love a good salad every once in a while we can and still do chow down on Oreos all time. There's a variety of different vegan snack options and, believe me, we love and cherish them all.
We can eat a TON!
When the main part of your diet is plants you're able to eat a lot more and feel less full. I personally love this aspect because it means I can 6 meals a day and still maintain my girlish figure.
We don't think we're better than you.
As much as vegans get a bad rap we're really not as pretentious as twitter and tumblr make us out to be. We eat our food and you eat yours and believe us when we say we're not judging you and we could not care less what's on your plate.
Telling people we're vegan is our worst fear.
Because being vegan is considered offensive to so many people it's terrifying to tell a new friend what our dietary restrictions are. We don't want you to feel uncomfortable around us or worse ask us a million questions and try to convince us to change, so if we do tell you take it as a compliment.
We're not all crazy tree huggers.
I'll admit some of us are crazy tree huggers and, I myself, am a strong advocate for environmentally friendly practices and animal rights, but please don't assume we're all going to preach to you about veganism. Chances are we won't even say a word about it unless you ask nicely.
We're not protein deficient.
This is perhaps the thing that surprises most people! We, as vegans, are in fact not protein deficient and I would argue we probably get more protein than the average meat eater on a daily basis. Believe it or not there are other sources of protein besides living creatures.
If you offer us vegan food we'll love you forever.
Want to win over a vegan girls heart or simply make a new vegan friend? Offer us vegan food or ask us what restaurants are vegan friendly before we go somewhere. This kind of consideration goes a long way for us because all to often we here "Oh you can eat here right? They have lettuce."
Don't ask what we'd do if we're stranded on a desert island. 
Chances are if you ask us this question you're either going to get a really sarcastic response or a really angry one. If you want to know my real logical answer it's this: The odds of me ending up on a deserted island are slim to none, and if that's God's will for my death so be it.


So there you have it, the top 8 random things you need to know about us vegans. Did I miss some or do you have more questions? Let me know in the comments below!


No comments:

Post a Comment